family law attorney

Any family law attorney with experience will explain in detail the repercussions of ignoring a family law court order. In many cases, a family court order marks the end of turmoil for most people, but it can also open up a whole new set of worries.

Many parties worry about how the order will be enforced. Having an experienced family law attorney Kanata litigants can trust can help to ease some of the concern.

When a Spouse (Ex-Spouse) Refuses to Follow a Court Order

When your family lawyer hammers out an agreement with the opposing counsel it can feel like a relief. You can put your problems behind you and get on with life. Unfortunately, even with the court order, there is no guarantee that the agreement is followed, in many cases it is not. An expert family law attorney Ottawa residents count on can be your best ally in these situations.

The only real option you have to deal with the refusal to follow a court order is to go back to court and report the issue. It may start to feel like you and your family law attorney are on a never-ending merry go round.

There are steps that you can take to protect yourself if you believe that your ex-spouse will likely not follow the court order. The best time to take these steps is before the order is signed.

Protecting Yourself in the Future

You know your spouse better than anyone. If you suspect that your spouse will not follow the agreement ordered by the court speak to your family lawyer about your fears before the agreement is written.

Family lawyers can include wording in the agreement that can penalize the other party for not complying with the court order. While it may not stop your ex from disregarding the order, it will make it easier if you have to go back to court again to win your case.

The more information family law attorneys have about your situation the more detailed the order can be. It is important that you are upfront with your family lawyer about any concerns you have about whether the order will be followed.

The Flip Side of the Coin

If you are unable to follow a court order from family court, the first thing you need to do is to contact your family law attorney. It is always best to be proactive and not reactive in these situations. If you have filed bankruptcy, been unemployed, incarcerated, or have had other major problems that have interfered with your ability to meet the court order, contact your lawyer.

While you will still be required to meet your obligations under the court order, you can escape any repercussions by notifying your family law attorney who will, in turn, take the appropriate steps with the court.